Can we get rid of --with-compiler=

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Thu Aug 16 09:26:06 EDT 2007

Currently we can specify the path to the compiler using:

runhaskell Setup configure --with-compiler=...

and there's another flag for --with-hc-pkg=...

But now that the compilers are also using the Program abstraction they
automatically get corresponding configure flags:

etc etc (there are also --<prog>-args=... flags for each one)

The difference is that these are specific to the program, for example
--with-hc-pkg does not apply for most compilers.

So in the code at the moment, on a per-compiler basis we have to take
the --with-compiler= arg (if it was supplied) and use it to override
what we got through the generic --with-<prog> mechanism.

So do we need the generic --with-compiler= --with-hc-pkg= flags? If
someone knows the path to a specific compiler then don't they already
know the which compiler they're using and they could specify the
specific arg instead?