[ANNOUNCE] cabal-rpm: build RPM packages from Cabal packages

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Sun Apr 15 02:27:39 EDT 2007

As has happened with cabal-install et al, and in response to feedback
when I posted my original "Setup rpm" patches, I've rewritten that patch
as a standalone program, called "cabal-rpm".  Unlike other tools that do
this job, cabal-rpm is written in Haskell, and it uses the Cabal APIs
directly.

Simply run cabal-rpm in the top-level directory of a Cabalised project
and it will build a binary RPM for you.  No muss, no fuss.

I'm thinking about going a step further with this and integrating some
of the functionality of cabal-install, such that cabal-rpm could
download and build RPMs of multiple packages and missing dependencies.
Would this be interesting to the cabal-install folks?  If so, would you
be willing to take patches to librarify some of cabal-install's internals?

It shouldn't be hard to generate packaging data for non-RPM-based
distros, too, such as Debian and Ubuntu.  I'll probably look into that
when time permits.

Regards,

	<b