sof patch for --ghc-pkg-config-file=

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Fri Sep 15 14:46:44 EDT 2006

Andrew Pimlott <andrew at pimlott.net> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:06:55AM -0700, Isaac Jones wrote:
>> I still have some debate about whether this patch should go in; it
>> assumes a model of package registration where you have a config file
>> (as opposed to a directory) which isn't the case for nhc or Hugs.
>
> I don't know anything about packages in nhc or Hugs, but if they use
> directories, isn't the obvious thing to interpret the
> "ghc-pkg-config-file" as the package directory?

nhc doesn't really work w/ cabal at all (or is it vice versa? ;) )

For Hugs, we can install in a local directory, but registering doesn't
really have the same behavior in Hugs than it does in GHC.  With GHC
we have this level of indirection that help us to find packages.

In GHC, I can say --prefix=~/, and after I register with --user or
whatever, ghc can find that package.

With Hugs, last I heard, Hugs will only find packages installed in
standard places; it doesn't have that level of indirection.

So in a sense, the package registration for Hugs still doesn't quite
make sense, although I haven't really followed Hugs lately.  Whether
it will make even less sense if we try to impose some kind of
"in-place" package config file?

Maybe Ross can let us know if anything has changed.

peace,

  isaac