Cabal vs Hugs

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 18:40:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 20:30 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Not sure if this should go down the hugs list or the Cabal one, so
> taking a wild guess).
>
> Trying to install a Haskell package:
>
> C:\Neil\cabaly\safe>runhugs Setup configure
> runhugs: Error occurred
> ERROR "C:\Program Files\WinHugs\packages\base\Text\ParserCombinators\ReadP.hs":1
> 56 - Syntax error in type expression (unexpected `.')
>
> I know the reason for this is because ReadP uses a forall type, which
> hugs doesn't parse without the -98 flag. runhugs -98 Setup configure
> works just fine. Sadly thats not the best possible user experience -
> is there anything better that can be done? Does Cabal absolutely
> require ReadP?

Yes it does absolutely require ReadP, but here's the odd thing, we've
got a compatibility version of it for Haskell implementations that lack
it however the current #ifdefs mean that for hugs we don't use the
bundled version but just import the standard version that hugs comes
with.

So the obvious solution is that we should change the #ifdefs so that we
use our bundled version of ReadP with hugs.

Want to send in a patch? :-)