Cabal + WinHugs + Windows + No C Compiler

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Nov 7 20:08:44 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:46:23AM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> >> My worry is that MinHugs has Cabal (as will pretty much every single
> >> Haskell compiler), but Win32 is a lot less commonly installed - for
> >> example GHC has moved it into Extralibs.
> >
> >Win32 is still a core package.
>
> Oh, my bad, I thought it had been moved out. Do you intend to leave
> Win32 as a core package for the future?

There are no plans to move it out, as far as I know. If we could do so
then that would be good, of course, as minimising the number of packages
that ship with GHC is our goal.

Incidentally, I'm not keen on needing a build-dep on Win32 on windows
for every package that uses a magic paths module. I'm not familiar
enough with it to suggest the right way, but I don't think it should be
necessary for packagers to know about platform specific things like that
(unless they are using platform specific packages (unix, Win32, ...) or
using platform specific knowledge like the existence of things in /proc
or functions imported with the FFI).

Thanks
Ian