darcs patch: Add initial support for --enable/disable-library-vanilla

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 14:39:54 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 11:30 -0700, Isaac Jones wrote:

> >> The TH thing - can we check that this is really the right thing to do?
> >>
> >> So the code is forcing normal libs to be built when the library uses TH
> >> (even if the user didn't want to build normal libs).
> >>
> >> Note that they've not got a fix for this yet in GHC:
> >>
> >> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/template-haskell/2003-July/000135.html
> >> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/template-haskell/2005-July/000466.html
> >>
> >> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/651
> >>
> >> So we should check with the GHC devs that the behaviour in this patch
> >> will need to be part of any solution. Otherwise it seems a bit
> >> preemptive.
> >
> > Since no one said anything I've committed the patch but without the TH
> > bit and with some other minor changes.
>
> OK. I've CC'd Simon so he can lend is $0.02 about the TH stuff.

I caught Simon on irc the other day and he thought that this sounds like
the right behaviour.

Specifically: if the user asks for profiling but not vanilla versions of
libs and they're using TH then we should build vanilla libs first and
then profiling libs. However at install time we would not install the
vanilla libs as the user did not ask for them.

Simon: what about if we're building a program rather than a lib? Should
we vanilla-compile all the modules but not link then into a binary and
then compile again with profiling and then link those into a binary?

And presumably we would only expect this to work with GHC 6.6.