needing to know install paths

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 13:50:15 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:59 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Ok, along a similar theme...
>
> We provide the Paths_${projname}.hs module, as a little extra there it
> provides the current version number. Perhaps we could generalise that
> and provide the whole cabal file (using the normal Cabal types).

More monologue...

Actually perhaps this isn't such a good idea. It'd tie the version of
cabal more strongly to the app it's installing.

Suppose we generate a module using the current version of cabal that's
building the package. That has to be the same version as the program
gets built against if it's to use this generated module. And then that
has to be sufficiently close to the version that the packages was
designed to use so that the fields from the cabal package description
are the same.

Hmm.