Extending Windows support

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 03:04:23 EDT 2006

Hi Esa,

   All these things are really useful for all Windows developers. I
didn't yet proposed this only because it is too Windows and GHC
specific but this isn't a reason not to have them. Actually if we have
support for resources in Cabal then one day I would like to see
resource editor in Visual Studio for Haskell.
   One interesting feature would be to have automatic generation for
VERSION resource that to be prepopulated with the version and
copyright information from Cabal. We already have generation for one
Haskell module why not to have generation for one resource file.
   You propose to extend the cabal description with one additional
stanza type like the executable stanzas but I would recall that the
current model with one library and multiple executables is broken. I
vote again for a redesign where to have only one library or one
executable in a given package. After that with the addition of DLL we
will have three types of packages: library, executable or DLL.
   I didn't looked at implementation but I saw a couple of messages in
this mailing list about the introduction of configurations in Cabal.
Are they working with executables?

Cheers,
   Krasimir