cabal (./Setup.hs) options

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 10:03:36 EDT 2006

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 10:45 +0200, Johan Tibell wrote:
>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I like Cabal. There are a few things that I'm used to from autotools which
>>>I can't seem to find: dry-runs, uninstall and a "make distcheck" equivalent.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>  uninstall
>>>    Removes all files and directories created by install
>>
>>Ditto. This is really necessary since otherwise I'll have to build a
>>Debian package anyway before I can install the Cabal package. Getting
>>software of my system is almost as important as getting it on there in
>>the first place. Prevents my system from deteriorating over time.
>

> I think we didn't include this feature deliberately for some reason.
> Isaac can you remember?

It was possibly because I objected to it; although now I can't remember exactly
what it was I diskliked so much about it.  Possibly just the fact that I think
this is the job of the system's package manager, not Cabal.  But the same
argument applies to 'setup install' of course.

So to be clear, I don't object to uninstall any more, if someone wants to go
ahead and implement it that's fine by me.

Cheers,
	Simon