[C2hs] Reducing c2hs memory requirements

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 13 19:43:57 EST 2005

Duncan,

To be honest, I am not too keen on using files to buffer the AST and
symbol tables, as it adds another level of complexity.  Moreover, an
operation that is performed whenever C declarations are analysed is
declaration chasing, where name analysis (using functions from CTrav.hs)
follows declarations involving typedefs.  Depending on where the types
are defined, access can be non-local and may slow everything down quite
a bit.

Do you have any idea which data structures take most of the space?  Or
is it just that after expanding the header files of GTK widgets, the
resulting C pre-processor output is so large that it just takes a lot of
space to hold it?

Manuel