[C2hs] Re: A new lexer/parser for c2hs

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jun 9 04:30:53 EDT 2005

Andre Pang:
> On 08/06/2005, at 9:15 AM, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
> > Great! I fear I may have to leave the required build system changes to
> > you. We're using a different build system.
>
> Considering that this change will require build system changes, would
> it be worthwhile rewriting the C2HS build system to use Cabal now,
> rather than later?

Certainly.  Do you volunteer? ;)

BTW, there is one other change that I would like to do at the same time.
It's rather inconvenient that the c2hs libs need to be installed by
anybody using an app using a c2hs-generated binding.  So, I like the
c2hs support code to go into a plain .hs file that c2hs spits out on
command (together with the generated binding).  It can then be linked
into the generated binding and application users don't get a c2hs
dependence.

As a side benefit that will make it easier to generate bindings for nhc
plus we are getting close to supporting cross compilation (which Tony
Sloane likes to have).

Manuel

PS: Elimination of the libc2hs will make building w/ cabal actually
    easier; hence, that change should happen at the same time.