[Blobs] Nodes with ports

José Miguel Vilaça jmvilaca at di.uminho.pt
Tue Dec 6 13:55:12 EST 2005

Hello

I’m trying to change Blobs to become an editor for a language which is not
exactly a directed graph. In such system I have the notion of ports in
nodes; which node have a previously fixed number of labelled ports and
instead of having edges between nodes, it’s only allowed having edges
connecting ports.

For the picture of Malcolm Wallace "Failure Propagation and Transformation
Calculus" in Blobs web page it seems to me that such framework addresses the
same situation.

So what I would like to know is if someone have ever found this problem and
if someone have some idea for a way of implementing this generalization of
directed graphs.

One solution is create so many new nodes as the sum in the range of
primitive nodes of the sum of ports for that specific node. Them it is
necessary to force some constrains in the graph like the user cannot create
edges from/to primitive nodes and the selection of a primitive node implies
the automatic selection of it self and its port nodes.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Regards

Miguel Vilaça