[Haskell-beginners] Invoking ghci with hackage modules

Lists0 lists0 at freea2a.de
Wed Jun 15 23:39:03 UTC 2022

Hi all,

a very basic question, that I cannot solve alone:
How do I load modules from hackage into ghci ?
Say, I have a module arrows.hs :

{-# LANGUAGE Arrows #-}

module Main where
import Control.Arrow
import Control.Monad
import qualified Control.Category as Cat
import Data.List
import Data.Maybe
import System.Random

I get the error in ghci:

% ghci arrows.hs
GHCi, version 8.10.6: https://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( arrows.hs, interpreted )

arrows.hs:9:1: error:
    Could not find module ‘System.Random’
    Use -v (or `:set -v` in ghci) to see a list of the files searched
for. |
9 | import System.Random
Failed, no modules loaded.
Prelude>

System.Random is in the package "random" from hackage, where the other
modules are in the package base.

I cannot find a solution in the doku that works :-(

Thanks for help!