[Haskell-beginners] Count Words from File

A. Mc. 47dragonfyre at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 17:49:03 UTC 2021

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is crossposting. My IRC client did not
appear to be working properly.

I am new to Haskell and I need to find a way to count specific words in a
file.  File could contain spaces between words, no spacing, uppercase,
lowercase, etc so I've standardized it to once the file is taken in,
convert to lowercase and remove the spacing.  I've also read the postings
about using ByteString instead of [Char] so I am trying to use that.  But,
as it still seems to either view all elements as fused or each letter as
individual, I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this.  The input after
transforming would be something like "theblueskyisveryblue" for uniformity
and would need to count "the" and "blue".  Feels like I should be able to
do a map and foldr(?) but I'm not sure how to get Haskell to recognize
'the' for example and not count all the t's, h's, e's etc in the file, nor
am I entirely sure how to properly compose a map-fold for character arrays
like this.

Thanks in advance and thank you for your time.