[Haskell-beginners] Monad question

coot at coot.me coot at coot.me
Tue Dec 28 18:34:53 UTC 2021

Hi Mike,

An applicative instance of `Maybe` is enough to write the convert function you're looking for.  Applicative is very useful when there are no dependencies between different branches, like when converting `Add`.  But anyway, converting between applicative and monadic operations is a good exercise, which I'll leave for you.  It's always possible to convert from applicative to monadic form, but the more useful conversion is from monadic to applicative (which is not always possible):

```
convert :: Expr (Maybe a) -> Maybe (Expr a)
convert (Var a)   = Var <$> a
convert (Add a b) = Add <$> convert a
                        <*> convert b

```