[Haskell-beginners] Strange use of undefined (et al.) in list comprehension

Galaxy Being borgauf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:49:07 UTC 2021

So the Bool predicates and the generators are not purposefully grouped
separately -- it just appears that way from the simplistic beginner book
examples. But the evaluation is, indeed, left-to-right in that the first
example above has even x evaluated directly after x <- [1,3], whereas in
the second example the y <- undefined is evaluated directly after x <-
[1,3], then
the even x, correct? Again, the beginner book examples give the impression
that any and all predicates are A) always pushed to the far right, closest
to the right bracket, and B) follow no order of application such as being
bound to the form closest to the left. So yes, it's visually obvious that
there is an outer-inner looping happening when you see the output of two
generators doing combinations, but, again, the beginner treatments I've
seen make no explicit mention of order in an LC. This is all news to me,
but thanks! That's what these forums are for!