[Haskell-beginners] State in IO monad

Dmitriy Matrosov sgf.dma at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:07:42 UTC 2020

On 11/14/20 5:36 PM, coot at coot.me wrote:
> Hi,
>

> First you should ask yourself if you need concurrent access to that state.  If not then you can thread this state as argument, e.g.

No, for the time being i don't need concurrent access. Just make it work.

> ```
> data State = State
>
> someAction :: State -> IO a
> someOtherAction :: State -> IO b
> ```
> This functions compose perfectly well, if you need to update the state then each action should also return it:
>
> ```
> someAction :: State -> IO (State, a)
> someOtherAction :: State -> IO (State, b)
> ```

Thanks, but the problem is how this library works. [Here][1] is example
provided by library author.

So, essentially, first i need to initialize library with

     telnetInit :: [OptionSpec] -> [Flag] -> EventHandler -> IO Telnet

and pass it callback function with type

     type EventHandler = TelnetPtr -> Event -> IO ()

and this callback function will be called upon each telnet event, including
data reception. But because each time the same function is called and it is in
IO monad, i don't see a way how to pass something (i.e. state) from one call
to the second. In fact, i don't even see a way how to save result of the
single call to use later in the rest of the program. Unless i use global
state in IO (using 'IORef' or 'MVar' (didn't tried yet)).

Alternatively, (looking at [example][1]) i may parse received data after
'recv' call before telling telnet library that data is received with 'telnetRecv',
but then callback function passed to 'telnetInit' does not needed at all
(well, at least in my simple case). And this looks a little strange: why do i
ever need this callback function, if i can't parse data there and save it
for use in the rest of the program?

[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~jack/libtelnet-haskell/tree/master/example/Main.hs