[Haskell-beginners] formatting?

Frank Martinez frankdmartinez at gmail.com
Sat May 9 00:09:32 UTC 2020

Vim (https://wiki.haskell.org/Vim) It takes a little getting used to but
you’ll never go back. You’ll use it for so many thing.

If Vim really isn’t to your liking, Emacs might. (
https://wiki.haskell.org/Emacs) It’s more of an operating system cleverly
disguised as a text editor.

Both of these should be your first choice, in my opinion and experience.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 13:02 Alexander Chen <alexander at chenjia.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> tensDigit.hs
>
> tensDigit :: Integral a => a ->a
> tensDigit x = d
>   where xLast = x `div` 10
>             d         = xLast `mod` 10
>
> prelude> load tensDigit.hs
> parse error on input ‘=’
> Perhaps you need a 'let' in a 'do' block?
> e.g. 'let x = 5' instead of 'x = 5'
> 4 |             d         = xLast `mod` 10   |                       ^
> [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( chapter7_8.hs, interpreted )
> Failed, no modules loaded.
>

> I suspect this has something to do with the spacing (since this is example
> code) if so could someone explain to me what the rules on spacing are so I
> can get past this. I am using a simple text editor so if someone has a
> recommendation for an IDE that simply takes care of this, much obliged!!
>
> best,

P.S.: I prefer to be reached on BitMessage at
BM-2D8txNiU7b84d2tgqvJQdgBog6A69oDAx6