[Haskell-beginners] formatting?

Alexander Chen alexander at chenjia.nl
Thu May 7 17:01:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

tensDigit.hs

tensDigit :: Integral a => a ->a
tensDigit x = d
  where xLast = x `div` 10
            d         = xLast `mod` 10

prelude> load tensDigit.hs
parse error on input ‘=’
Perhaps you need a 'let' in a 'do' block?
e.g. 'let x = 5' instead of 'x = 5'
4 |             d         = xLast `mod` 10   |                       ^
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( chapter7_8.hs, interpreted )
Failed, no modules loaded.

I suspect this has something to do with the spacing (since this is example code) if so could someone explain to me what the rules on spacing are so I can get past this. I am using a simple text editor so if someone has a recommendation for an IDE that simply takes care of this, much obliged!!

best,