[Haskell-beginners] CSES Two Sets problem at https://cses.fi/problemset/task/1092/

Irfon-Kim Ahmad irfon at ambienautica.com
Mon Jun 29 14:36:11 UTC 2020

Without having attempted to code this in any particular language, but
just thinking about the problem, I believe the CSES knights problem is
not a test of language speed or programming acumen but a test of
choosing an efficient choice of algorithm that doesn't generate more
information than the question asks for.

In short, they're asking for the NUMBER of boards, not the actual
boards. Most of the solutions people are proposing in Haskell simulate
the problem instead of calculating it -- in short, they generate the
actual boards, then count them, whereas the solution only requires you
to count them.

The solutions for n = 1 and n = 2 can be calculated by hand and put in
as constants. n = 3 you can calculate or simulate as is your preference.

Knights have a maximum interaction range of three linear squares.
Knights placed more than three squares apart in any one direction cannot
hinder each other. So the number of illegal placements of knights can be
confined to a 3x3 board. After that, all illegal boards of size n x n
are simply one of those 3 x 3 boards shifted to a new position.

The total number of n x n boards with two knights placed on them is
given by (n^2) choose 2, which I'm not going to look up because it's
been over 20 years since I took statistics and I'm happy about that.
Still, it's a calculation. Not a super simple one from a computing
perspective, since it involved factorials, but I'm assuming someone has
figured out how to do factorials quickly in Haskell?

The number of places you can position a 3 x 3 board within an n x n
space is something like (n-3)^2 if I'm not mistaken?

So you can subtract that from the total number of boards to arrive at a
result.

NOTE: This likely requires SOME tweaking for edge cases (For example, Is
the board where k1 is in position x and k2 is in position y considered
the same as the board where their positions reversed, or not? Does the
choosing calculation factor for that properly?) because it's literally a
ten-second-in-the-shower concept, but it seems like this could come up
with a result. Whether it does it in time is mostly down to whether
Haskell can do factorials fast enough at that point.