[Haskell-beginners] Problem with minimax with alpha beta pruning

Maxim Frolov maxim.frolov.07 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 16:00:51 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I am new to Haskell and got stuck while experimenting with minimax algorithm (tic-tac-toe game). Just for learning I am trying to avoid external modules and use only the standard Prelude library.

Here is the code snippet:

type Pos = (Int,Int)
-- Players are O (minimizing) and X (maximizing), B is for the draw (blank), I and J are used for -INF and +INF respectively
data Player = I | O | B | X | J
    deriving (Eq, Ord, Show)
type Grid = [(Pos,Player)]
data Tree a = Node a [Tree a]
    deriving Show

minimax :: Player -> Player -> Tree Grid -> Tree (Grid, Player)
minimax _ _ (Node g [])
 | wins X g = Node (g,X) []
 | wins O g = Node (g,O) []
 | otherwise = Node (g,B) []
minimax a b (Node g ts)
 | turn g == X =
   let ts' = [minimax alpha b t | t <- ts, alpha < b]
       ps = [p | Node (_,p) _ <- ts']
       alpha = maximum (a:ps)
   in Node (g, alpha) ts'
 | turn g == O =
   let ts' = [minimax a beta t | t <- ts, a < beta]
       ps = [p | Node (_,p) _ <- ts']
       beta = minimum (b:ps)
   in Node (g, beta) ts'

The function call is like:

minimax I J tree

It looks like I got a recursion loop. Could someone advise how to approach the problem?

Thank you,
Max