[Haskell-beginners] map type explanation

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 18:42:22 UTC 2020

They are not parameters, they are the types of the parameters.

In this case a can really be anything, Int, Char, whatever, so long as the
function takes a single argument of that type and the list that is given
has elements of that same type.
It is the same for b, it doesn't matter what b ends up being, so long as
when you call that function the function's return value is compatible with
the element type of the list that you intended to return from the entire
statement.

You can mess with it yourself in ghci to see how type inference works.

>:t show
:show :: Show a => a -> String
>:t map show
map show :: Show a => [a] -> [String]