[Haskell-beginners] unwanted Fractional constraint

David James dj112358 at outlook.com
Fri Dec 11 16:38:46 UTC 2020

[Attempting to resend]

Hi - I think your logic is:

I can define these two:

fFrac :: Fractional a => a -> a
fFrac n = n * (n+1) / 2

fInt :: Integral a => a -> a
fInt n = n * (n+1) `div` 2

so that, e.g.

fFrac (5.0 :: Float) == 15.0 :: Float

fInt (5 :: Integer) == 15 :: Integer

And all number types are either Integral or Fractional, so surely I should be able to define a single function of type:

f :: Num a => a -> a

This would seem reasonable, but I think there’s a problem with the last assumption. It is indeed possible for other types to be instances of Num, but not of Integral or Fractional.

For example, I could define:

instance Num Bool where
  fromInteger 0 = False
  fromInteger _ = True
  abs = id
  signum _ = True
  negate = not

Now this would probably be pretty dumb (and probably doesn’t comply with expectations<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.14.0.0/docs/Prelude.html#t:Num>), but is possible. (And also pretty dumb to define it without also define an instance Integral Bool where ..., but still possible).

So I don’t think

f :: Num a => a -> a

could be possible, since Num by itself (& the dumb Bool instance) has no way to do the division. (At least that I can think of, but would be very interested to hear if there is).

Regards, David.