[Haskell-beginners] Understanding functions like f a b c = c $ b a

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Aug 8 05:24:57 UTC 2020

I think the part that is confusing is that there are two steps here, there
is the *foldr*, and then there is the application of *id* to the result of
the *foldr*. *foldr* is of type *(a -> b -> b) -> b -> [a] -> b*, and in
your example the type for *a* is *Integer* (probably not precisely Integer,
but let's just say it is for simplicity) and the type for *b* is *[Integer]
-> [Integer]*. It would be better to think of it as *(foldr f (const [])
xs) id*. Another way to think of it is that *foldr* replaces the list *:*
constructor with the function (*f*) and the *[]* constructor with the given
*b* (*id*). Here's how I would think about the computation. In Haskell it's
usually best to start with the outside and work in, due to the non-strict
evaluation. At the end I've removed the bold from the terms that are
already completely reduced.

*init' [1, 2, 3]*
*(foldr f (const []) (1 : 2 : 3 : [])) id*
*(1 `f` (2 `f` (3 `f` const []))) id*
*id ((2 `f` (3 `f` const [])) (1:))*

*(2 `f` (3 `f` const [])) (1:)*
1 :* ((3 `f` const []) (2:))*