[Haskell-beginners] Import errors from a very simple program

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Thu Sep 26 14:15:40 UTC 2019

Hello John,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 02:53:23PM +0100, John Sturdy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm right at the start of learning Haskell, and I decided to jump from
> reading LYAH to writing a simple real-world program.
>
> It's based very closely on
> https://github.com/haskell-hvr/cassava/blob/master/examples/NamedBasedGeneric.hs

Cabalising a small project is one way to do it (and a useful skill
to learn, too):

    cd ~/somefolder
    wget -O Main.hs https://raw.githubusercontent.com/haskell-hvr/cassava/master/examples/NamedBasedGeneric.hs
    cabal init --is-executable --dependency=base --dependency=bytestring --dependency=vector --dependency=text --dependency=cassava
        # many questions! There is a non-interactive option.
    cabal new-repl
        # ghci repl for your project
    λ> main

Bingo!
Read the generated .cabal file to learn more on how it works
Does this help?
-F