[Haskell-beginners] Matrix and types

Frederic Cogny frederic.cogny at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:37:34 UTC 2019

I'm not sure I understand your question Mike.
Are you saying createIntM behaves as desired but the data constructor M
could let you build a data M with the wrong type. for instance M [1,2] :: M
1 Int ?

If that is your question, then one way to handle this is to have a separate
module where you define the data type and the proper constructor (here
M and createIntM) but where you do not expose the type constructor. so
something like

module MyModule
  ( M -- as opposed to M(..) to not expose the type constructor
  , createIntM
  ) where

Then, outside of MyModule, you can not create an incorrect lentgh annotated
list since the only way to build it is through createIntM

Does that make sense?

Frederic Cogny
+33 7 83 12 61 69