[Haskell-beginners] Need better explanation of the 'flipThree' example in LYAH

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Sun Sep 16 23:16:53 UTC 2018

Hi Francesco,

Thanks as always for your reply. (I note that you've replied many of my
questions.)

I have not replied because I've been thinking very hard about this
problem and in particular about the way the do notation is desugared in
this case and something doesn't sit right with me. (Obviously there's
something I've failed to understand.)

Take for example

do
     a <- coin
     b <- coin
     return ([a,b])

This would desugar into

do a <- coin
     do b <- coin
         return [a,b]

and ultimately into

coin >>= ( \a ->
coin >>= ( \b ->
return [a,b] ))

Noting that m >>= f = flatten (fmap f m) , and recursively applying
expanding >>= I get

flatten( fmap (\a -> coin >>= ( \b -> return [a,b] ) ) coin )

and

flatten( fmap (\a -> ( flatten( fmap ( \b -> return [a,b] ) coin ) ) coin )

Is this how to proceed and how am I to simplify this expression?

Regards,

- Olumide