[Haskell-beginners] incoherent instance question

Alex Rozenshteyn rpglover64 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 01:36:32 UTC 2018

> mathematical equivalences

Yeah... Unfortunately, type classes aren't good at those. They're good for
necessary conditions, and you can make them work for necessary and
sufficient conditions, but only if you control the class in question. One
major problem in your attempt is that you're not defining Bounded yourself,
so you can't define necessary conditions (since those would have to be part
of the class). If you controlled Bounded, you could do this:

class UpperBounded a where ...
class LowerBounded a where ...
class (UpperBounded a, LowerBounded a) => Bounded a -- This is the
"necessary" part; notice no "..."
instance (UpperBounded a, LowerBounded a) => Bounded a -- This is the
"sufficient" part

You'd need to turn on some extensions (UndecidableInstances and
FlexibleContexts, IIRC).