[Haskell-beginners] Square root algorithm

PATRICK BROWNE patrick.browne at dit.ie
Mon Sep 11 12:44:51 UTC 2017

Why is it the sqrt0 function is so much slower than sqrt1. Does the where
clause allow intermediate values to be stored?
Regards,
Pat
sqrt0 :: Int -> Int
sqrt0 0 =  0
sqrt0 1 =  1
sqrt0 n =   ((sqrt0 (n - 1)) + (n `quot` sqrt0 (n-1))) `quot` 2
-- sqrt0 25 several minutes
sqrt1 :: Int -> Int
sqrt1 n
 | n ==  0              = 0
 | n ==  1              = 1
 | otherwise            = div (k + ( div n k)) 2
 where k = sqrt1(n-1)
-- sqrt1 25 instant

On 9 September 2017 at 05:49, KC <kc1956 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One approach
>
> One function to compute the next iterate
>
> Another function to call the computation function until results are within
> some tolerance
>
> It's usually presented as separation of control and computation 😎
>
> --
> Sent from an expensive device which will be obsolete in a few months
> Casey
>
> On Sep 3, 2017 1:23 AM, "mike h" <mike_k_houghton at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> To help me in learning Haskell I started blogging about some of the
>> things I’ve looked at.
>> One such topic was calculating square roots ‘by hand’ and then deriving a
>> Haskell algorithm.
>> I wrote about the well known  technique here
>> http://gitcommit.co.uk/2017/08/25/the-root-of-the-problem-part-1/
>>
>> and it it is really quite a simple method.
>>
>> The second part of the post will be an implementation in Haskell.
>>
>> I then tried implementing it  and got something that works but really its
>> not very pleasant to look at! And its something I don’t want to post! Some
>> parts are fine but I think I locked myself into the notion that it had to
>> be using State and  really the end result is pretty poor.
>>
>> I know this i perhaps a ‘big ask’ but I’d really appreciate any
>> suggestions, solutions, hints etc. I will of course give full attribution.
>>
>> I’ve created a gist of the code here
>> https://gist.github.com/banditpig
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Mike

This email originated from DIT. If you received this email in error, please
delete it from your system. Please note that if you are not the named
addressee, disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action based on
the contents of this email or attachments is prohibited. www.dit.ie

Is Ăł ITBÁC a thĂĄinig an rĂ­omhphost seo. MĂĄ fuair tĂș an rĂ­omhphost seo trĂ­
earrĂĄid, scrios de do chĂłras Ă© le do thoil. Tabhair ar aird, mura tĂș an
seolaĂ­ ainmnithe, go bhfuil dianchosc ar aon nochtadh, aon chĂłipeĂĄil, aon
dåileadh nó ar aon ghníomh a dhéanfar bunaithe ar an åbhar atå sa
rĂ­omhphost nĂł sna hiatĂĄin seo. www.dit.ie

TĂĄ ITBÁC ag aistriĂș go GrĂĄinseach GhormĂĄin – DIT is on the move to
Grangegorman <http://www.dit.ie/grangegorman>