[Haskell-beginners] Restrict type in phantom data-type

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 16:19:13 UTC 2017

The terminology for what you are looking for was phantom type.  That
is any type that looks like this, where the a is not mentioned on the
right hand side.

data Foo a = Foo

What happens with datakinds is when you write

data SomeType = Foo | Bar

By default there is a type SomeType and two values Foo and Bar, which
are of kind *, which is the default.  With datakinds enabled, it
creates two new types 'Foo, and 'Bar, which have a kind SomeType
(instead of *).  You can replace Rainy with 'Rainy in the other code I
gave.  It compiles either way because there is no other type Rainy, so
it assumes you must have meant 'Rainy.

As for type families, what you have there are called open type
families.  There is also a closed type families variant that prevents
more instances of the type family from being declared by the library
user.  It would look like this:

data Sunny
data Rainy

type family Night a where
  Night Sunny = SunnyNight
  Night Rainy = RainyNight

You could still write the following, which would not work in
datakinds, but at least there is no constructor that you could use
that would satisfy it other than the ones listed in the type family.

impossibleDay2 :: Day ()
impossibleDay2 = undefined

There may be more to this than I know, but I think that about covers it.