[Haskell-beginners] hGetContents and modules architecture idea

PY aquagnu at gmail.com
Tue May 9 08:43:57 UTC 2017

Yes, it makes sense. So, this is the evolution of the ecosystem and in
the future this may be redesigned, right? And more abstract thing, like
"streams" objects may replace file handlers in such "hGetContents", to
support reading from string I/O, different devices, etc.

But here, I see another question. How is it possible if today there are
many libraries/approaches, and no "main" one, no even such thing like
"batteries", which can be "included" due nature of Haskell community,
may be... It's not bad but it is so. What abstraction can be used?
Machines/streams/pipes/conduits/etc? No "benevolent dictator" in the
language, so no way to create one solid library... For example, after
"stack install something" you get "mtl" and "transformers". But why
both, they looks like solution for one/same task. The same about "pipes"
and "conduits": sure I have both installed. And often dependencies are
very big and IMHO no way to make standard mechanism in the language like
in all other...  Thoughts out loud, nothing more :)

/Paul