[Haskell-beginners] hGetContents and modules architecture idea

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Sat May 6 10:10:38 UTC 2017

I'd say that haskell depends more on its libraries than most other
languages because they kind of get better over time and a lot of times
the better libraries are not at a beginner level of skill.

As for hGetContents not being generic over its types, people have
actually written typeclasses for that purpose.  See
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ListLike-4.5.1/docs/Data-ListLike.html#v:hGetContents
it is just that it is not in the standard library.  The problem with
having everything typeclassed is that it makes it so that you have to
fix all the types before your code will compile.  There are a lot of
people who believe that some of the list functions like length should
not be generic in Prelude because it's difficult to get the hang of
when you first start learning haskell.  I'm not one of them, but I
understand what they are getting at.

I personally use pipes, but over the years they've more or less
reached feature parity.  Pipes has a few minor things over conduits,
conduits is slightly easier to use.  You can convert between the two
fairly easily in code.  Which you use is up to you.