[Haskell-beginners] hGetContents and modules architecture idea

baa dg aquagnu at gmail.com
Sat May 6 04:24:39 UTC 2017

Oh, David, execuse my English!! I'm sorry so much.
I know about pipes and conduits libraries, but they are not part of
language itsef and more: no such thing like "batteries included": you can
avoid use of them or you can use both or even use libraries which depends
on pipe and conduit at one time, so to have both in one project. It's not
the same as "yield" in Python which is a path of the language, or "async",
for example.

So, is hGetContents is legacy? My ponits were:
1) hGetContents IMHO should be in I/O related modules, not in "data
definitions" modules. Because when somebody creates new modules, defining
some new data types, he should not thing about I/O of these types. Even
more, he don't know what kind of I/O and I/O functions he must to "inject"
there. Is not it a design error in Haskell?
2) hGetContents "supposes" that I/O is based on file handlers. This limits
Haskell as simple little script language. There are another kinds of I/O,
where you have not files and their handlers, for example, in embedded, when
you can read/write bytes from ports through different protocols: I2C, SPI,
etc, ports may be mapped to memory addresses or be available via fixed
register names, etc. Is not it a design limitation of Haskell, related to
this ubiquitous hGetContents?
3) Concept that you must read Text or Sndfile from input file leads (if it
is a idea of placing this hGetContents in all of that modules) to practice
when other libraries authors would implement hGetContents for their types.
They and we :) Is not it a lossing of abstraction? To combine all of these
things together you should read/write bytes and encode/decode types from
abstract bytes' streams, is not it? But, in this case, what does
hGetContents in all of these modules today?! :)

I'm programmer from 96 and used many different languages, and today, when
I'm using Haskell, it's important for me, as to any other programmer, which
begining to use new language (Haskell in the case) to accept and
understand, to feel base ideas of language's infrastructure design:
modules/ecosystem. Today languages are easy, but their ecosystem and
infrastrucutre often are complex, different, strange and sometimes
surprises us. As for me, all of these thoughts are related to "accepting"
of language ecosystem/core/infrastructure. To understand why so, why in
this manner... I like Haskell, it looks like functional C, not C++ even:
lambda and types, nothing else. But such thoughts (like about hGetContents)
embarras me. I'm not sure, is it right place to ask such questions, I tryed
on StackOverflow but their is not the place, may be Haskell-cafe?  Other
programmers, with background in other languages, I'm sure, also ask
themselves similar questions and tried to accept these design, so, as for
me, I'll very glad to listen about experience of others. What they thing
about such design/libraries/modules ecosystem.

Early, I asked about this on StackOverflow, also about functions like
"fold", "elem", "intercalate", many other, which are in List module and
other modules too. As for me, they all are candidates to be totally
abstract (via typeclass) and should not be in List or Map/Hashmap/etc
modules only. Something like C++ interfaces, SML signatures. And as I
understand from answer, this actually so because of legacy reason, and
today there are attempts to solve this problem in Haskell: there are new
packages (alternative preludes, etc) which defines such type-classes (sure,
there are famouse Alternatives, Applicatives, Foldable, Traversable, but
it's not the same). If, hGetContents is such legacy - OK, this is
understandable, makes sense :)

And again, David, execuse my terrible English, please!