[Haskell-beginners] how do typeclasses work again?

Nicholls, Mark nicholls.mark at vimn.com
Fri Feb 10 16:27:41 UTC 2017

lovely

so if I now go....

> foo4 = apply (\i -> show i)

And :t foo4 is...

> foo4 :: (Is isx a, Show a) => isx -> String

So add that as a type...and we get the same sort of awfulness...."could not deduce" bla bla

But how do you make this disappear

> foo4 = apply (\(i :: a) -> show i)

Doesn’t work... "could not deduce" bla bla

I'd instinctively like to go....

> foo4 = apply (\(i :: ((Show a) => a)) -> show i)

"Illegal qualified type: Show a => a"

And this is really just

> foo4 = apply show

Where we end with "could not deduce"