[Haskell-beginners] how do typeclasses work again?

Sylvain Henry sylvain at haskus.fr
Thu Feb 9 17:29:04 UTC 2017

 > I've told it to expect a function "Integer -> String"...surely?

No. The constraints only indicates that an instance matching "Is isx
Integer" must exist but that's not what the compiler expects.

You have:
(\i -> "") :: x -> String
the type `x` cannot be inferred.

Hence when you write `apply (\i -> "")` the compiler expects an instance
"Is isx x" for the ambiguous x.

You have to declare the type of `i` to be Integer for your code to work:
foo = apply (\(i :: Integer) -> "")

--
Sylvain