[Haskell-beginners] Simplified Luhn Algorithm

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 04:01:51 UTC 2017

I have the following, and it works, but I am trying teach myself Haskell,
and I have the suspicion that my solutions is both inefficient and
graceless. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trent.

------------------------------------

{-
8.The Luhn algorithm is used to check bank card numbers for simple errors
such as mistyping a digit, and proceeds as follows:

* consider each digit as a separate number;
* moving left, double every other number from the second last;
* subtract 9 from each number that is now greater than 9;
* add all the resulting numbers together;
* if the total is divisible by 10, the card number is valid.

Define a function luhnDouble :: Int -> Int that doubles a digit
and subtracts 9 if the result is greater than 9.

For example:

6

> luhnDouble 6
3

Using luhnDouble and the integer remainder function mod, define a function
luhn :: Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Bool
that decides if a four-digit bank card number is valid.

For example:
> luhn 1 7 8 4
True

> luhn 4 7 8 3
False

In the exercises for chapter 7 we will consider a more general version of
this function that accepts card numbers of any length.

Hutton, Graham. Programming in Haskell (pp. 45-46). Cambridge University
Press. Kindle Edition.
-}

luhnDouble :: Int -> Int
luhnDouble x = if (2 * x) > 9
    then (2 * x) - 9
    else 2 * x

luhn :: Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Bool
luhn x1 x2 x3 x4 = if 0 == sum[luhnDouble x1, x2, luhnDouble x3, x4] `mod`
10
    then True
    else False