[Haskell-beginners] Installing Idris for Linux Dummies: "The following packages are likely to be broken..."

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:31:28 UTC 2017

You are very close.  Try apt-get install zlib or possibly apt-get
install zlib-dev.  I'm also seeing a possible zlib-bin.  This is all
mint specific info, so I can't get any closer than that.

You will not get a .local directory until  you succesfully install a
package via stack for the first time.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Manny Romero <mannyromero at mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Populated index cache.
>> No compiler found, expected minor version match with ghc-8.0.2 (x86_64)
>> (based on resolver setting in /home/third/Idris-dev/stack.yaml).
>> To install the correct GHC into /home/third/.stack/programs/x86_64-linux/,
>> try running "stack setup" or use the "--install-ghc" flag.
>>
>> ...additionally, I don't seem to have acquired a ~/.local/bin/idris ("no
>> such file or directory"), nor for that matter do I know how to adjust my
>> PATH.
>>
>> Also, for what it may be worth, I had been warned after the "curl -sSL
>> https://get.haskellstack.org/ | sh" that:
>>
>> Detected Linux distribution: linuxmint
>> This installer doesn't support your Linux distribution, trying generic
>> bindist...
>> Stack has been installed to: /usr/local/bin/stack
>> Since this installer doesn't support your Linux distribution,
>> there is no guarantee that 'stack' will work at all! You may
>> need to manually install some system info dependencies for GHC:
>> gcc, make, libffi, zlib, libgmp and libtinfo
>> Please see http://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/install_and_upgrade/
>> Pull requests to add support for this distro would be welcome!
>> WARNING: '/home/third/.local/bin' is not on your PATH.
>> For best results, please add it to the beginning of PATH in your
>> profile.
>>
>> ...Sorry to be so completely clueless about the most basic aspects of
>> what's
>> going on, but it really is the state of my knowledge for now!

>> "The following packages are likely to be broken..."
>>
>> The problem most users face with using straight up cabal is that often
>> the needs of one package conflict with the needs of some of the others
>> you've installed. I highly recommend you use stack to install idris.
>> The process should look something like this:
>>
>> download stack, install it. (directions here:
>> https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/README/)
>> git clone https://github.com/idris-lang/Idris-dev.git
>> cd idris-dev
>> stack install
>>
>> And then either run ~/.local/bin/idris or make sure .local/bin is in
>> your PATH so that you can run idris on the command line.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Manny Romero <mannyromero at mail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am a Linux user (Mint 18) trying to install Idris. I don't know the
>>> slightest thing about computers. I barely managed to install Linux, and
>>> later the full GHC, based on ample instructions available on the Web.
>>> (Still
>>> don't actually recall how I did it!)
>>>
>>> Idris, however, seems a little trickier. I followed the website
>>> (https://www.idris-lang.org/download/)'s instructions:
>>>
>>> cabal update
>>> cabal install idris
>>>
>>> ...because apparently I installed "cabal" at some point. But I get this
>>> message, which apparently is quite common:
>>>
>>> cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
>>> lens-4.15.1
>>> kan-extensions-5.0.1
>>> profunctors-5.2
>>> comonad-5