[Haskell-beginners] State monad to help pass around game settings

i.caught.air at gmail.com i.caught.air at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:41:01 UTC 2017

I have a metro to catch but small interesting additions worth looking into:

Using `modify` and lenses, you get niceties like this to update the state:

modify $ scolor .~ color

Don’t forget to use ReaderT over StateT if you only need some configuration to be passed implicitly and wont mutate.

Last note, `StateT s m a` relies fairly heavily on understanding the essence of monads. Your goal is to build a computation in which you’re given the ability to keep and mutate a state `s`. At the end of the day, something has to “run” that computation, which will carry out its effects `m`. produce a
result `a`, and possibly give you the final state `s` if needed as well. (See runStateT vs. execStateT vs. evalStateT).

Cheers,
Alex.