[Haskell-beginners] Real World Haskell: Deprecated Libraries

John Ky newhoggy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 21:23:18 UTC 2016

Hello Haskellers,

I have been working through the Real World Haskell chapter on Profiling and
Optimisation
<http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/profiling-and-optimization.html>,
and got to the section *Advanced techniques: fusion*, where I encountered
some code using Data.Array.Vector from the deprecated library uvector.

Does anyone know how to rewrite this to not use deprecated libraries?

I have tried to use Data.Vector.Unboxed from vector, but my version
consumes a lot of memory.

The code I have is here:

https://github.com/haskell-works/hw-tutorial-performance/blob/master/hw-tutorial-performance-rwhe/Main.hs

With that code, I get “1831 MB total memory in use”, which is terrible

Build run steps I used were:

stack build --executable-profiling --library-profiling
--ghc-options="-fprof-auto -rtsopts -auto-all -caf-all -fforce-recomp"

time /Users/jky/wrk/haskell-works/hw-tutorial-performance/.stack-work/install/x86_64-osx/lts-7.10/8.0.1/bin/hw-tutorial-performance-rwhe
+RTS -sstderr -p -hy -RTS 1e7

I get very large numbers of allocations of Pair and Double.

There is also a very large upfront allocation ARR_WORDS, which I feared
would happen when using Data.Vector

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

-John