[Haskell-beginners] why is there no typeclass common to all containers?

Silent Leaf silent.leaf0 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:26:57 UTC 2016

In fact it all comes down to trying to add partially a feature absent from
the Haskell language, which is the ability to distinguish values both on
name *and* on type --thus allowing two variables of the same name if they
have different types.
Honestly i don't see the drawback of that name system, but i guess there
must be one otherwise it'd have been chosen by default instead of the
typeblind current name system.

Le mercredi 1 juin 2016, Silent Leaf <silent.leaf0 at gmail.com> a écrit :
> All in the title. I haven't used them much, but I saw Map or Vector types
were forcing the user to use qualified functions unless you want nameclash
with the more basic, typically list-oriented functions.
> So, why not have a massive, general purpose interface so the type only
can separate between containers --which would allow for cross-container
polymorphism, i suppose, more easily, even though it's not necessarily the
most widespread need.