[Haskell-beginners] How to best handle classes of types, interactions and listing of different types?

Silent Leaf silent.leaf0 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:44:51 UTC 2016

I understand your example. Still it's useless if we need the value of the
multiplied vectors, more than just a list of their lengths after the
operation, unless i missed something.

At any rate; I'm trying to create a representation of mathematical sets.
The tricky part being, they're precisely capable to handle any kind of
content, including themselves. But I think I went too overboard, trying to
handle the idea of sets that could contain strictly any type (at once). In
practice, the basic elements will be rather similar, and known enough at
least so that I can merely use ADTs for the various "types" of elements,
and same for sets themselves.
If needed I can create two instances of monoids, one for And, one for Or,
using newtype wrappers. It's vaguely a hassle but anyway it'll only be
useful if i have to create functions that could work on both monoids
(separately), which would be interesting enough so i don't merely duplicate
the job.
There's also the possibility i need to use existing functions already using
monoids...
For now I think i'll be ok with ADTs and one common wrapper for all
elements.

Thanks still, I'll think about your idea, it's rather interesting.