[Haskell-beginners] let x = x in x (GHC.Prim)

Takenobu Tani takenobu.hs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 14:20:09 UTC 2016

Hi John,

> popCnt64# = let x = x in x

It represents "bottom, or undefined, or infinite loop" [1].
(Almost primitives can't be represented with Haskell language.)

In your case, It's good to use FFI call [2] like as Sylvain's nice code.

If you dig GHC compiler's primitives, followings [3][4] may be useful.

[1] https://www.fpcomplete.com/blog/2015/02/primitive-haskell
[2]
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/master/users-guide/ffi-chap.html#primitive-imports
[3] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/PrimOps