[Haskell-beginners] Haskell and design patterns

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 05:30:51 UTC 2016

I have been using Haskell on and off, as a hobbyist, for five years. I
haven't been diligent in training myself on it, so I am learning slowly. It
was confusing at first, coming from an imperative background.

It occurred to me the other day that Haskell typeclasses are a kind of
"design pattern." They identify a common pattern and provide a solution.
I've been reading about design patterns in C++ for years. Haskell patterns
are a twist on that.

The imperative view looks at a task in a certain way, often conceiving of
it as steps that mimic how human thoughts would go, and finding big general
patterns that occur in different big applications.

I don't want to speak for all of Haskell, but at least some Haskell
patterns are smaller-scale and more attuned to the language of programming
rather than the language of human thought.

For instance, the Monad. The common use case is this---you have some
"things," and you have a "container" that can accept more than one type of
"thing." The common patterns are

- you need to wrap things in the container
- you need to unwrap things
- you need to modify things while in their container
- you have functions that operate on containers
- you have functions that operate on the things, but maybe you don't want
to unwrap them first. or maybe you do.

To an imperative programmer, this is bizarre. What things are you talking
about? What containers? You have not defined either one, so why can you say
anything specific? Why all this emphasis on wrapping and unwrapping?

Yet this is a design pattern all the same. It gets weird when you realize
that the Maybe monad, conceived in human-thought terms, has totally
different behavior than the list monad. Yet they are the same design
pattern and have a relationship that is more concisely expressed
mathematically than in human thought.

The abundance of operators for wrapping/unwrapping/operating seems, if I
understand right, closely related to the conciseness of Haskell. If you can
use your containers without unwrapping them first, then by all means you
don't want extra syntax just to do so. Same if you have functions that only
operate on unwrapped things.

Haskell patterns are "lightweight" also helping with the conciseness. The
closest thing to a "container" in C++ is a class, which is a dozen times
heavier than a Functor, Applicative, or Monad. Actually you really need a
"template class" which is like a tank compared to Functor which is a skinny
guy fighting with a short knife (who can usually get the job done just
fine, thank you).

Any comments welcome. I'm just trying to get a good perspective on Haskell.

Mike