[Haskell-beginners] Maybe Return?

Ramnath R Iyer rri at silentyak.com
Sun Jul 31 21:17:09 UTC 2016

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for your response, it definitely helped. Below is an updated
version of working code. Where I was getting tripped up earlier was in the
commented portion below. Also, if you scroll down further, I have a few
further questions. Thank you for your time.

module Main where

import Evaluator
import System.Console.Haskeline

main :: IO ()
main = runInputT defaultSettings loop
  where
    loop :: InputT IO ()
    loop = do
      line <- getInputLine ">> "
      case line of
        Nothing -> return ()
        Just input -> do
          let (result, next) = evaluate input
          if (next == Return)
             then return ()
             else (emit result >> loop)  -- I had wanted the result to be
emitted only on Continue, not Return. This works, but is it a good way?

emit :: Maybe String -> InputT IO ()
emit Nothing      = return ()
emit (Just value) = outputStrLn $ "Executing: " ++ value

module Evaluator where

data Next = Continue | Return
  deriving (Eq, Ord)

evaluate :: String -> (Maybe String, Next)  -- Now updated to make the
first part of the tuple a Maybe String instead of String
evaluate "quit" = (Nothing, Return)
evaluate value  = (Just value, Continue)

** QUESTIONS **

1. If I wanted to write the logic encapsulated in `emit' directly within
main, how would I do that? In my example, I was forced to extract it out as
a separate method specifically to leverage pattern matching.
2. You mentioned outputStrLn has a type `String -> InputT IO ()'. How do
you logically come to this conclusion? Is it because outputStrLn was taking
a single String argument and had to return the same type returned by loop
declared previously?
3. Are there better/simpler/more idiomatic ways of structuring my program?