[Haskell-beginners] Stack minimal dependency specification, or dependency tree output

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 21:07:04 UTC 2016

Hi Beginners,

I'm finally getting my hands dirty with Stack, and am using it in
conjunction with Docker, but not with the built-in docker functionality.

My Dockerfile is constructed so that it first installs a whole bunch of
dependencies globally, like so:

RUN stack install HUnit

Then after that, installs the project:

COPY . /app
WORKDIR /app
RUN stack install

This means that on repeated docker builds the app build and install time
should be limited to just the application itself, because the dependency
builds were cached. Which is great! However, I'm currently generating the
list of dependencies just by looking at the output of the stack build of
the app, and this displays everything as a flat list.

I'd like to see some kind of tree instead, so that when I pre-install the
dependencies, I can specify a minimal list, rather than a whole slew of
dependencies that would be pulled in transitively anyway.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Regards,

 - Lyndon