[Haskell-beginners] to avoid naming intermediate variables

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:35:33 UTC 2016

Yeah, maybe I've been a little too enthusiastic about code golfing. I've
noticed that haskell programs usually have short functions (compared to
imperative languages). I love this---I love how when you get a function
down to four or fewer lines, you can tell its structure in a glance. Yes,
some Haskell structures can look confusing at first, but I find that with
practice looking at them, they start to look natural. Like the way that
your mind pictures &&& splitting the input---I'm sure you find that doesn't
take any effort and feels like a common and natural pattern. It seems to
work like that with much of Haskell.

Oh, can I bring up one other intermediate variable elimination situation?

I used to do things like

func :: IO MyData
func = do
  x <- readMyData
  return $ someProcessing x

When I first encountered Monads, I was confused by functions that move
things into Monads, like 'liftM'. But I am starting to see the light. I
realized I could do

func = someProcessing `liftM` readMyData

Or

func = readMyData >>= someProcessing

I was explaining to a friend that Haskell's abstracted patterns seem
confusing to me, coming from an imperative background. She only has a
little experience programming, so I tried giving some analogies. Say you
are an imperative programmer and you are do a physical simulation of
automobiles. You see that they all have an engine, so you write some code
that handles abstracted common features of engines.

In Haskell, abstracted patterns are more like this--say you have a a
forklift that manipulates boxes. say that's your "function." Then you write
a function that produces a forklift that manipulates boxes that are inside
trucks. In the imperative world, it's like "huh? where does that get you?"
But it makes more sense now.