[Haskell-beginners] Problem getting haskell-mode working with emacs on windows

George Taylor menemenetekelupharsin at gmx.com
Sat Aug 13 18:37:57 UTC 2016

Hello,

Environment: Win7 32bit, Emacs 24.5.1, ghci 7.8.3

I have had Haskell working with Windows 7 and emacs previously, but have had issues, and am attempting to get everything working again. Problems.

I searched for "Install Haskell Emacs", and found a link to the page

https://wiki.haskell.org/Emacs/Installing_haskell-mode

But this page was blanked on 11 April 2016, with no information as to where to go.

I looked at the previous version of the page, and it said to "place the basic mode haskell-mode.el and the modules you want to use in [a suitable directory, I used "~/haskell-extensions"], add the following command to your init file (~/.emacs):

(load "~/lib/emacs/haskell-site-file")"

I did the above (but just with haskell-mode.el) and launched emacs, and got a message:

"File error: Cannot open load file, no such file or directory, ~/haskell-extensions/haskell-site-file"

in emacs, as an experiment, I did M-x Load file: C:\home/haskell-extensions/haskell-mode.el

And got the message "Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, haskell-customize"

I downloaded haskell-customize.el and placed it in ~/haskell-extensions, and tried again, but no joy.

Questions:

0. Is haskell-mode depracated?  It no longer seems to be available at MELPA.
1. Why was the page "https://wiki.haskell.org/Emacs/Installing_haskell-mode" blanked?
2. Is a similar, current set of instructions available?
3. Should I be able to load haskell-mode using M-x load-file?  If so, what other .el (or other) files are required, and where should they be placed?
4. Is there a dissimilar set of instructions available?

Any help will win thousands in prizes.