[Haskell-beginners] function application

Silent Leaf silent.leaf0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:52:46 UTC 2016

true! no it's totally my fault, i forgot about that. I'm not exactly sure
why is that, it seems slightly absurd, limiting, to me but I guess it must
be something on the inside.

In that case, from what I know to this day, you'll have to choose either,
and I know no easy way to integrate a point-free conditional choice (in
other terms, to replace the guards in a pointfree manner) on one of the
parameters, so I'd go for the non-pointfree style, aka your original
implementation, with the guards.

of course we can merrily cheat:
test1arg :: (a -> b) -> (a -> b) -> (a -> Bool) -> a -> b
test1arg cond thenF elseF x
    | cond x = thenF x
    | otherwise = elseF x
then:
mc :: Integral a => a -> a
mc = test1arg (<100) (-10) (mc . mc . (+11))

it amounts to moving the guards into another function. the "if then else"
expression is very similar of course, but doesn't allow, as far as I know,
point-free style.

Anyway... all this becomes a pointless (pun unintended) search for the
point-free style at all costs. I'm not sure it's generally speaking, a very
good idea. Non-point-free style is perfectly good style in itself, and
pointfree should be in my opinion reserved to cases where it comes
naturally, where, when perhaps looking at one's definition for a function,
one realizes the presence of the argument is pointless; one very random
last-minute example:
f xs = zip [0..] xs  ---> f = zip [0..]
also to the cases when the very definition of a function comes to one as
combination of other functions. beyond that, I'd say it's mostly wasted
time.

I think the question is to balance the style, to always prefer clarity to
"coolness" at any rate. Sure, in many cases, a pointfree style is in my
opinion much quicker to understand, much clearer. Also, pointfree style is
also a very good exercise I think, that permits beginners (i put myself in
it needless to say) to get a better understanding of haskell's syntax, and
of the whole function paradigm in general.
As long as exercises in pointfree feats aren't hindering real programming,
I'd say there's no problem in trying to go for it whenever it's possible.
Plus in my opinion it can be fun.