[Haskell-beginners] Haskell package maturity

Andrew Bernard andrew.bernard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:15:04 UTC 2015

Since starting to look on Hackage for packages for such vital things as queues and algorithms, I am surprised to see very low numbers of downloads for packages that seem to me to be vitally important. For example, queuelike has only been downloaded 1617 times since being uploaded in 2009. Similar very low numbers seem to apply for many packages. Another example is cubicspline with only 485 downloads.

My question is, are the numbers on Hackage correct, and if so, do they indicate hardly anybody uses them, or indeed Haskell? I am starting to wonder.

I also notice version numbers are very low, often less than one and most often around 0.1 or so. This is either a display of extreme modesty on the part of Haskell library code developers (in fact, often found in open source communities), or an indication of lack of maturity of the code. Overall I am puzzled about this. I am trying to establish what packages to use in my coding and there seems to be little indication of what to choose, and how to assess code maturity. What am I missing?

Andrew