[Haskell-beginners] Can't install Haskell platform on Mac OS X El Capitan

Richard Guay raguay at customct.com
Mon Oct 12 06:12:12 UTC 2015

Depending on the shell you are using, you will have to put it in your
.bashrc file for the bash shell or you .zshrc for zsh. Assuming you
are using the default setup, you are then using bash and will need to
add it to your .bashrc. In a unix type filesystem (which OS X is), all
files starting with a "." are invisible. In a terminal in your home
directory, type "emacs .bashrc" and add the line to the file. You can
see the file in the terminal by using "ls -a" to list everything -
even hidden files.

Once you update your .bashrc file, reload your shell. Emacs will see
it as well since it should use the PATH environment variable to find
it.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Daniel Hegyi <daniel_hegyi at hotmail.com> wrote:
> How can I add this to these files? I can’t find them.
>
> Also, I will want to compile from Emacs. Will I need to add this PATH somehow there as well?
>

>> On 12 Oct 2015, at 13:56, Richard Guay <raguay at customct.com> wrote:
>>
>> The installer can't create the links to your /usr/local/bin folder
>> anymore under El Capitan. I just added this to my .bashrc and .zshrc
>> files:
>>
>> export PATH="/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/Current/usr/bin/:/Library/Haskell/bin:$HOME/Library/Haskell/bin:$PATH";
>>
>> That should fix your problem. At least, it did for me.
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Daniel Hegyi <daniel_hegyi at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m trying to install Haskell on Mac
>>>
>>> I have OSX El Capitan so I downloaded from https://www.haskell.org/platform/  the Download (64 bit) (10.11).
>>>
>>> The installer runs, however, when I type into terminal ghci I get
>>>
>>> ghci
>>> -bash: ghci: command not found
>>>
>>> “which ghci” it just doesn’t return anything.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel